Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dat ist gut

Oh dear. I have gone and created a blog. I dont know what came over me. It might actually be genetics. Or else its because of the environment i grew up in. The old nature vs nurture debate...either way I am still here, typing my first entry of my first very own blog. I dont even expect people to read it. But i figured it would come in handy for the report i have to write when i return home, and instead of writing a travel diary by hand i figured this would do (although i cant as easily stick in all my train tickets, random food labels, and other miscellaneous bits of rubbish that somehow become treasured memories in travel diaries...oh well!)

So. Day 1! Yesterday i left Brisbane. At 1.35pm est. On an air china plane to Frankfurt, via Taiwan. For the first 8 hour leg of the journey the kind man next to me offered to take the window seat so i could have easy access to the aisle. I said no. But soon after very much regretted that decision because there is no way of getting out without the other person having to get out (i swear leg room has gotten smaller!!!). And, because he had given me the option of having the aisle row I felt it would be rude for me to ask him to move. So I had to strategically time my toilet breaks with his - he only took one. Apart from lack of toilet opportunities this trip was uneventful. I watched one B-grade movie (dear john for all those playing along at home). But then as i was feelling pretty sick and exhausted from only finishing semester the day before I mostly just sat and listened to the comforting sound of the engine droan. Peaceful. (Better than silence on a plane). And ate delicious airline food. Yuck.

First stop Taiwan. I love how you can tell cultures are slightly different (and slightly the same) just from 2 hours in an airport. First of all, Taiwan has made a new deity out of a white, pinkclad kitten (hello kitty for everyone who didnt save up their pocket money to buy her stationery). She was pretty much on everything. Second, Twilight novels look more intelligent in Taiwanese. Third, Justin Beiber looks just as annoying in Taiwanese. Fourth, it pays to know what bubblers look like in different countries, and to carry coins. I had to pay $75 for a bottle of water (taiwanese dollars), if i had had change it would have cost me $25, if i had known the bubbler was next to the cafe i would have paid nothing. Alas, i did not. But it doesnt matter because i dont think the bubbler water was Volcanic water like the stuff i got...so perhaps it was $75 well invested. And point 5, you lower all your standards when you travel - food, personal hygiene, personal space, sleep hours, etc. I created this blog whilst lying on the carpet in the airport. Thats disgusting. But i already felt dirty, and it wasnt like i was going to see anyone i know.

Part two of the trip - left Taiwan at 11pm their time. Flew 13 more hours to Frankfurt. I had two chairs to myself which was luxury. And, for the very first time, with help from my friends the pharmacists, i slept on a plane. Only a couple of hours but still - what an achievement. A note to the beginner traveller here - if you are given a choice between chicken and pork on a flight with china air, never ever take pork. It was essentially strips of pork fat stirfried. Yum-o.

Flying over europe was awesome. I love seeing clouds from above. They look like mashed potato. Even more awesome is when you see snow capped mountain peaks pointing through. And then little villages scattered around like monopoly board houses and hotels, with huge patchworks of crops between them and the odd windfarm. Totally awesome. God has done a good job, and people have done alright too.

Got to frankfurt airport and sat on the tarmac for 20 mins (delay!), then tried to work my way around the train station. Epic fail. I wish i spoke german. First i went to the long distance train station instead of the regional station (what was i thinking...). Then i had to work out how to use the ticket machine. Thankfully an american lady asked how to use it so i learned from her. Then, i got on a train. Then i got off on the wrong station. I dont know what i was thinking. I thought the voice over lady had said "main station", and signs outside said that too. I knew it was meant to take 10 mins not 5, and i would have assumed other people with suitcases would get off. But they werent, and in a moment of panic and stupidity i did get off. I wandered around for 5 mins. The other people who got off had disappeared. The station was small, and could not possibly be the main station. But there was no one to ask. Except two unpleasant looking men who i walked past in my search. Thankfully when i turned around to go back and older german woman arrived. SAVED. Thanks be to God. She spoke enough german to tell me where i needed to go, and she asked me where i was from. I didnt get in the same carriage as her though because i thought i might cry (lack of sleep does wonders to ones ability to think and feel rationally).

Got to the main station, found my hostel. Got in the smallest lift ever to the third floor. Checked in. Checked facebook (love wifi!). Called home :( Had my second breakfast for the day and then took a much needed shower. Now its now. I am about to explore the big exciting pocket of the world that is Frankfurt.

Ill keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging. Nice post. I will be a regular reader. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mads, I have never been a blog "follower" but I thought that because it is you, and because it is only for 2 weeks, I'll make an exception! Great first post.. you should be a journalist.. or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddie, love it how you can be in Frankfurt now : ) Drink it all in. Hope you can catch up on sleep x

    ReplyDelete