Thursday, June 24, 2010

The pocket of the world that is Frankfurt

So today i was feeling a little bit more adventurous. After my 4.30am wake-up I still got off to a slow start. I met a guy from Algeria this morning - but his english wasnt great, and my german and algerian both arent great. We still managed to carry on a conversation. Mostly about soccer, and the reason i am a pale Australian (because its winter in australia...and i like my skin cancer free). Called home to get the latest goss on our change in primeminister - still cant believe that all happened in two days! Dadzy also helped me sort out my german phone which was very handy!

After enjoying the free hostel breakfast - which is actually good (ie. not just a bread roll with jam) I asked the friendly receptionist what i should do to fill in a day in Frankfurt. She gave me some tips and i headed off.

I walked down to the river. They have beautiful avenues of oak trees either side of the river and it looked lovely this morning. Crossed a bridge and took a few photos.






Then i made my way to the art gallery. Unfortunately the normal exhibit was shut. They did have another open for viewing but I didnt want to pay 10 euro to see it because i knew i wasnt cultured enough to get my moneys worth. The english couple in front of me didnt think it was worth it either and were disappointed there wasnt a seniors discount. I chuckled. They said i'd feel the same one day. We talked for a little while. The man knew about KRudd - very well informed! And then they left. I stayed a little longer, then left to find somewhere else. My long legs meant i soon caught up with the english couple again. we chatted some more. They were here for the day because their cruise ship had docked her. The lady asked me what i was doing and told me to enjoy this time of life and travelling whilst i can. They let me walk ahead as they didnt want to hold me up. I tried the Communications Museum next (yes...sounds like a blast huh!). It was only 2.50euro, and i wanted to fill in some time. So i paid and entered.

Suprisingly it was actually really interesting. My favourite exhibit was the sheep made of old telephones. Very clever. I mostly looked at the section on radios (i wonder who influenced that decision...), lots of info about how they started, how Hitler used them, how the government couldnt own them after the war etc. And some great displays of radios from their origin to now. My favourite - the toilet roll radio.






Also had a look at the some old telephones, and the History of the German postal system. I actually found this interesting too. The postal system is always a source of amazement to me - so efficient. Because i had to read the booklets they had there in english the whole process became a little slow going. I took a quick look upstairs where there was a special display about a guy named Spickzettel (WHO?). He had a thing for writting really small on things. It was cool. The pic of the numbered rolls below are manuscripts. About the width of your shopping docket. Then i had a quick browse of the history of money section.
Did you know: America uses recycled denim as a component of their paper money. Wow.





Looking through the museums one of my favourite things was seeing lots of primary school kids here on excursions and listening to their teachers explain things and ask questions (i assumed thats what they were doing) - somethings are the same world wide. Also watching the children count out their money to buy gifts at the gift shop was very cute! The sales lady was losing her patience but i got a smile from her.

After this i headed down the road and walked along by the river taking some more pics. The trick to a good photo is add something alive to it. Buildings get boring. Buildings with a duck in the foreground swimming on the river are less boring. Also, coloured boats always look good. Whilst i was walking i saw some street sweepers.
Did you know: they use harry potter brooms to sweep streets here? Funny.





Headed back to the other side of the river and found my way to the old buildings in the city that are on all the postcards (thats how you know you are meant to see these things). Its a very weird mix of old and new here (because the war meant lots got destroyed). The old buildings are very cool, but obviously a tourist haven, as the number of postcard, beer stein, and lederhosen selling stores increased dramatically. Sadly, these were not available in my size...





Had enough of old buildings and bridges so i went to find Zeil St. which i was told is fantastic shopping. It took me forever to find, because I couldnt interpret the information maps that are scattered everywhere. I knew "I am here" but still couldnt work out how to turn here into there. When i did find it it turned out to be the stretch of shops Id found yesterday on my own hahaha. Didnt buy anything - but i did drool over lots of lovely european leather shoes.

In my wanders around the streets I found the Bear & Bull statues, the open markets area, the old opera house and a few shops which i was suprised by. First, there was a maggi cafe. That is maggi as in maggi noodle... Also, Fitness First has a cafe here under their gym. Fabercastle had a shop which was selling 300euro pens...the same fabercastle that i buy $5 packets of pencils from at Target. And there was a shop that is dedicated to selling gummybears. And gummy pizzas and beer...


I dont know why but the best thing i saw today which brought me much joy was seeing business men, in suits walking along and...licking icecream cones. It seems so out of place. its like they are little kids pretending to be grown ups. it made me chuckle and i had to sneak a picture. I had to follow their lead and purchased a delicious chocolate and cookie gelati (i know i am meant to be being healthy...but it got rid of some of my 2cent pieces. I think the european union uses 2cent pieces to force people to save. You never use 2 cent pieces, but you always get given them. I offloaded 5. win.)





On my way back to the hostel some market stalls had set up just outside. I think i will have to go back for some fresh straweberries and cheeses for dinner. Or maybe some mushrooms from the mushroom stall - weird. I am planning on staying up past 8.30pm tonight. Maybe til sunset...which is ridiculously late here.

But now i have just spent the arvo uploading pics and facebooking. Tomorrow i head off to Mannheim - hoping the train ride there will go smoother than my first experience!

I'll keep you posted :)

PS - more pics on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment